Monday 9 March 2015

Every Inchie Monday: Egyptian

Hello Folks,

Egyptian (this week's word at Every Inchie Monday) is one of those words I can never spell correctly.  I always get the 'g' and the 'y' and the 'p' mixed up for some reason - maybe because they are all 'below the line' letters.

This week's word was tough because there is so much to choose from.  I always loved studying Ancient Egypt in school.  At one point I even wanted to be an archaeologist, until I realized how much time I'd be spending out in the sun.  That was before Indiana Jones told us 90% of all archaeology is done in the library.  I remember traveling by train to Toronto to see the King Tut exhibit the first time round back when I was in university.  So here is my rendition of the iconic Egyptian eye of Horus.  You can't see all the sparkle in the drawing, but it's there.





And I've always thought hieroglyphs were the neatest thing.  So pretty and yet so meaningful.  Here is my version of the letter K, for Kia, in Egyptian gold. 









I couldn't fit it in the cartouche, so I did that separately.




Walk like an Egyptian this week.

11 comments:

  1. I'm same as you! Everything during childhood and being in the sun and Indiana Jones. I've live in Israel and scoured Jerusalem. Never made it to the pyramids (and now don't care if I ever do). I wish I had hair like Cleopatra. I love your quilling, so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing inchies. I have always been fascinated with this subject as well and I dod see the Tutankahmum exhibition years ago when it was in the UK

    Love Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work! I love all of them. My daughter adores all things Egyptian. The "walk like an Egyptian" made me giggle. I am a child of the 80's after all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snap! I had the roman ruins of Leptis Magna & Sabratha in Libya to explore as a child & wanted to be an archeologist, in fact my husband is a history buff too & we wanted to tour the classical sights around the Mediterranean in a camper van when he retired. Life put paid to that because of all the various wars that broke out in old Yugoslavia & North Africa/middle east.

    Horus will no doubt appear a lot this week!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like so many, I love anything ancient Egyptian also :-) Wonderful inchies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Humm, I have told my hubby that I want to be burried in a pyramid so that I CAN take it all with me! Another eye. Guess we had the same thought. I really like yours and am enjoying your quilled pieces too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your eye is great, and like the quilling, also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful inchies! I like this egyptian eye with those nice colour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous inchie, love the use of the colour

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely done Eye of Horus inchie! Love the blue and gold. Well done quilling too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant inchies. Love the colors in the painted eye. But I love the quilling too.

    ReplyDelete