Tuesday 30 September 2014

187 Diva: Blind String

This week's assignment at I am the Diva is to us a 'blind' string (or for those who aren't zentangle aficionados, drawing a string without looking at the page while drawing -  like blind contour drawing).  My first attempt resulted in a mess right in the middle of the square - totally unusable.  My second wasn't too bad.  I kept trying for a nicer string, but I just got worse and worse!  So here is my string:

 
As you can see, I went outside the box with my string (I'm drawing in a sketchbook) so I used an eraser (horrors!) to remove those lines. 

Here is what I came up with.  This time I darkened the shading so the scanner wouldn't wash it out, but I did it a bit too dark.  Not sure I'd like anything with a string with small spaces like this, but this is what I ended up with.  I used the tangles bales, demi, neuron, hollibaugh, beweed and gryst.




Have a fabulous week.

13 comments:

  1. A lot of contrast in your tile, I like that. I think the shading is not too dark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely, Kia and the complex string has given you the opportunity to use some great tangle - AND leave that important bit of white space that helps guide the eye around the tile. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very fun Tile, Kia. Love your Pattern selections, and how you shaded them. Lovely design. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice. I love the Neuron in the middle, keeping it light, and I think your shading is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tile! Your shading is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty tile! Great contrast between dark and light!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha! your post left me chuckling. i remember when i went to CZT training - every time rick or maria walked down the aisle near the table where i was sitting - i would stuff my eraser under my right leg so they wouldn't see it. hahahaha! we passed that eraser around our table a few times that week!

    and your shading is not too dark. another CZT friend told me to make it darker than i thought it should be - and she was right. step back from your computer screen and look at the tile above. it has so much depth. it took me quite awhile to figure that out. lovely tile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your tile. You did a very good job and I would have left the overhang and tangled that also. I like the way you used Demi and Bales to frame the work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely tile with great contrast and shading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful done, and yes you never know with a blind string, but you made a beautiful tile of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tile with this twisting string and nice shading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is very pretty, Kia!! I got behind but I am here now :)

    ~ Diane Clancy
    http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2014/10/diva-closed-eyes-string-challenge-entry/

    ReplyDelete